I would like each of us to take a minute and think about what we did today. I am sure most of us have days that are filled with work, children, friends, errands, projects that need finishing, and homework that needs to be done. With twenty-four hours in a day, you would think it would be enough time to fit everything in. If you are anything like me, there is always something (a lot of somethings in my case) that are left undone.
As we think about what we have accomplished in our day, do we feel we gave the attention we needed to to the most important things in our lives? Former General Relief Society President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Sister Julie B. Beck taught: “When our priorities are out of order, we lose power.” When my days start to feel crazy, and I am feeling overwhelmed I think of her inspiring words. I often get distracted and forget the reason why I am really here. I am grateful to be a wife and mother, but do the things I do each day reflect that this is my number one priority?
Brent A. Barlow councils us: “A husband needs to spend time with his wife. The two need to have time together to share ideas, to grow and learn together, and to experience joy together. A wife is not going to be too excited about a husband who spends all his time at work, at church meetings, in hobbies that exclude her, or in front of the television or newspaper. A husband who always spends time in ways that exclude his wife communicates to her that she is not very important. Yet his wife should be the most important person in his life.” The same is also true of wives. We need to make sure our husbands come first as well!
As we put each other first in our marriage, we will find happiness. We will be given the strength we need to meet our daily challenges, and find joy in our marriage relationships.
Week #11 Challenge
Make a conscious effort this week to put the needs of your spouse before your own. If you are not married, think of ways you can become more selfless. Write down qualities you feel are necessary in a relationship.


No comments:
Post a Comment