Giving our spouse a gift, writing a note to a friend, or serving a member of your family are only a few of many ways we can express our love to those around us. What about apologizing to someone we have hurt? We do not typically think of this as a way of showing love. It can be difficult to apologize to others, especially when we may not be the only person in the wrong. A few years ago, I was taught by a wise Bishop of our Ward: “I am sorry is another way to say I love you.” What a beautiful thought! There are days where I express my love multiple times in this manner. I am grateful that when I make a mistake I can repent and show my love to my family members by saying, “I am sorry.”
In “Drawing Heaven Into Your Marriage,” H. Wallace Goddard, PhD wrote a statement that was posted in front of a country church: “A happy marriage is the union of two forgivers.” What would happen in our homes if we were more willing to forgive”? Not only would we see changes in the relationship we have with our spouse, but everyone around us.
Week #8 Challenge
The next time you have an argument with your spouse, whether you feel you are in the right or not, say you are sorry. If you are not married, pay attention more closely to interactions with your family members. Be quick to say “I am sorry,” when necessary.


No comments:
Post a Comment